Please note that, nationally, GCSEs in the sciences have changed. As such the following is correct for Year 11 only. This page will be updated for Years 9/10 once Year 11 have taken their examinations in the Summer.

 

Classes


11B/Ph1 11B/Ph2 11E/Ph1 11E/Ph2
Mr Billington Mr Mellings Mr Downing Dr Riley

 

Course Overview


Students choosing Triple Science in their Year 9 Options will study for three separate science GCSEs in each of biology, chemistry and physics. At Fallibroome, the exact course followed for physics is AQA GCSE Physics (4403).

 

Examinations


Students will receive two lessons of Physics each week, for two years. At the end of the course, 75% of the course credit is assessed via three 1-hour exams (although two of them are back-to-back in the same sitting!) The remaining 25% comes from a short piece of assessed practical work completed in class during Year 11 (a “controlled assessment”).

External examination dates for Year 11 students:

Physics 1 (PH1HP): Wednesday 24th May 2017 PM (1hr)

Physics 2 (PH2HP) and Physics 3 (PH3HP): Friday 16th June 2017 AM (1hr + 1hr)

 

Controlled Assessment


Students must submit a single Controlled Assessment, worth 25% of their GCSE Physics course credit. It takes about 7 hours to complete and involves some preliminary research, some practical work and two written tests.

Students will be taken off timetable for one day during Year 11 to complete their GCSE Physics Controlled Assessment in its entirety.

It is important to note that the grade boundaries on the Controlled Assessment are only 3 marks apart, meaning that just 6 marks (out of the 50 available for each Controlled Assessment) are actually worth half of an entire GCSE grade overall. While this is clearly a ridiculous situation, it is one that we must be very aware of: every mark counts! For this reason, we thoroughly prepare all students for their Controlled Assessments at school (and there is little that they can do at home in addition).

 

Statement of Entry


The school enters students for their exams with the exam board and then students are given (usually around March) a Statement of Entry to check that no mistakes have been made. Please note that this final check is the students’ responsibility and that Fallibroome cannot be held accountable for any errors that are not picked up at this final stage.

A correct Statement of Entry for GCSE Physics has five items on it:

An entry for the Unit 1 exam, either Higher Tier or Foundation Tier: PH1HP or PH1FP;
An entry for the Unit 2 exam, either Higher Tier or Foundation Tier: PH2HP or PH2FP;
An entry for the Unit 3 exam, either Higher Tier or Foundation Tier: PH3HP or PH3FP;
An entry for the Controlled Assessment: PH4P;
A “cash in” code, requesting that a GCSE Physics certificate be issued for the qualification: 4403.

 

Course Plan


The course has three examined units. Physics 1 will be completed by around the February of Year 10, culminating in a mock examination. Physics 2 will then follow and it will be a little over half finished by the end of Year 10 and completely finished by the November of Year 11, culminating in a second mock exam. Physics 3 will then be studied through to the Easter of Year 11.

 

Home Learning


Homework will be set on a regular basis by the teacher.

It is important to note, however, that in addition to whatever homework is set explicitly by the teacher, all students need to develop the habit of reviewing their week’s study using a revision guide/workbook and/or the electronic textbook available via Kerboodle (see Useful Links, below). They should then see their teachers (outside of class is fine) to tackle any areas of misunderstanding.

 

Past Examination Papers







 

Useful Links


All students are issued with a username and password for Kerboodle, which provides a complete electronic copy of the course textbook used in class, together with worksheets, videos and animations. Fallibroome’s “institution code” (required to log in) is nrs0.

In the first couple of weeks of the course, we will process orders for revision guides and workbooks (the school can purchase them at a discounted price compared to the retail price in shops). These are optional, but many students find them helpful. The ones we offer are as follows, but there are many others available and there is very little difference between them:

Revise AQA: GCSE Science A revision guide

Revise AQA: GCSE Science A workbook

Revise AQA: GCSE Additional Science revision guide

Revise AQA: GCSE Additional Science workbook

Revise AQA: GCSE Further Additional Science revision guide

Revise AQA: GCSE Further Additional Science workbook

Note that these books cover biology, chemistry and physics.